Rotary Four-Way Test
Ethics for a Modern World
The Four-Way Test
The Four Way Test is, put simply, a yardstick code of ethics that helps us to be better Rotarians, better citizens and better friends. Since it’s adoption, the test has been translated into over 100 languages and is used around the world as guiding set of principles.
Imagine a world where everyone used this set of principles to guide their actions.
What the Contest Is:
District 7450 is sponsoring a Four-Way Test Speech Contest for High School Students, and we’d love to have your Club participate!
The students are given the text of our Four-Way Test, and challenged to write a speech evaluating some moral or ethical issue against the test. You will be amazed at the breadth of topics they come up with.
Here’s how it works:
- You publicize the contest at your local school and in the community.
- Participants must be 9th through 12th grade high school students.
- Contestants will develop a speech on any subject and apply the “Four-Way Test” throughout their speech. The speech must be between 5 and 7 minutes long.
- You hold a contest in your club, you pick a winner, and that winner moves on to the Regional Contest.
- Regional Contest will be held March 10, 2018 at a venue to be determined.
- Winners of the Regional Contest will compete at the Rotary District 7450 conference at the Hilton Doubletree in King of Prussia, PA. Saturday April 21st, 2018
Here’s a link to the rules – you will see that this is a turn-key operation if you just follow the steps. In today’s educational environment, schools have neither the time nor the resources to teach ethics. Here’s a way to make up for that deficiency.
This contest has been a jewel in the crown of every district which has adopted it. This is an opportunity to be part of something truly unique and uniquely meaningful.
Student Entry Form <FORM TO BE UPDATED>
Contest Manual for Clubs (Club Representatives: please email RogerTaylor.Rotary at gmail.com for a copy)